Responsible tourism engages the following principles:
1. Think small scale, using local and family sized services benefits the community more and smaller groups allows better interaction with local populations.
2. Protect the environment, conserve resources and minimise waste.
3. Offset negative impacts such as CO² emissions from flying.
4. Promote the use of public transport and bicycles.
5. Respect local culture and traditions, and work with local populations for authentic experiences.
7. Use services and places that are accessible to the local population.
8. Promote ecology through action – be ethical, responsible, respectful, sensitive and non consumist.
9. Generate resources for the local community. Generate income for the conservation and rehabilitation of ecosystems.
10 Support human rights, democratic movements and citizen participation and fight against undesirable impacts such as sex tourism, child exploitation and over development.
This post is also available in: Spanish